As of June 1, hurricane season is upon us again. Every year the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) projects that there will be more and more hurricanes.
In the last few years, we’ve seen evidence of that.
And not just with hurricanes but with nearly every natural disaster, disaster relief is needed from federal contractors. To gain access to these opportunities, you must be registered in the System for Award Management (SAM).
The best time to register in SAM for this type of work is before the disaster hits. With how long it takes to get registered, the opportunity to help will be gone by the time you have completed your registration.
Having a compliant SAM registration means having the right to work when the next disaster strikes.
During a disaster, specific North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) codes are called upon to provide relief. We’ve put together a list of the top 14+ NAICS codes that are called into action during and after a disaster.
14+ NAICS Codes for Disaster Relief
1. 562119 - Other Waste CollectionThe clean-up crew. This NAICS code applies to the contractors who will be cleaning up debris, mostly from buildings or structures. Entities involved in brush or rubble removal services are included in this classification.
2. 562910 - Remediation ServicesA subcategory of debris clean-up would be this NAICS code. This one is specifically for asbestos, lead, and toxic chemical clean-up. If older buildings are destroyed or an industrial plant gets damaged, entities with this NAICS code will be called in.
3. 561730 - Landscaping ServiceThis NAICS code would also be part of the clean-up crew. A lot of trees and general foliage debris are seen during big storms, and they need to be taken out of the streets, removed from buildings they fell on, and tidied up. There are plenty of opportunities for this NAICS code during any disaster.
4. 561720 - Janitorial ServicesAnother portion of the clean-up crew, but this NAICS code is specifically for indoor clean-up. This industry comprises establishments primarily engaged in cleaning building interiors, interiors of transportation equipment (e.g., aircraft, rail cars, ships), and/or windows.
5. 722320 - Caterers and/or 424490 - Other Grocery and Related Products Merchant Wholesalers
Food and water are basic necessities of life, and during a disaster, people are displaced without access to electricity or water to cook food. That is why these NAICS codes are essential during disaster relief.
The people affected will need access to pre-cooked meals, baby foods, canned foods, bottled water, and non-perishable foods. Associations like FEMA and Red Cross will call in contractors with these NAICS codes to assist those in need.
6. 541930 - Translation and Interpretation Services
Helping those in need can be tricky when you don’t speak the same language or are hearing impaired. That’s when contractors with this NAICS code are called in.
The relief organizations will put out solicitations for specific language interpreters or sign language interpreters to help facilitate the aid efforts.
7. 314910 - Textile Bag and Canvas MillsThere is one specific subsection of this NAICS code that is needed during any disaster — tarps. Rain or shine, tarps will be needed during any relief effort.
Tarps are necessary for setting up temporary shelters, minimizing damage to structures, or even keeping relief supplies safe from the elements.
8. 561612 - Security Guards and Patrol ServicesLet’s face it when a disaster strikes, people get desperate, understandably so.
To manage the chaos and protect homes and commercial property, this NAICS code will be called into action. This code comprises establishments primarily engaged in providing guard and patrol services, such as bodyguards, guard dogs, and parking security services.
9. 423830 - Industrial Machinery and Equipment Merchant Wholesalers and/or 333924 - Industrial Truck, Tractor, Trailer, and Stacker Machinery ManufacturingSolicitations for these NAICS codes during disaster relief are typically for forklifts. Mostly rental forklifts, but manufacturers are also called upon if the need is desperate enough.
Essentially, this code is either the pre-clean-up crew or assists with moving large amounts of disaster relief supplies.
10. 532490 - Other Commercial and Industrial Machinery and Equipment Rental and Leasing and/or 335312 - Motor and Generator ManufacturingMuch like #9, these NAICS codes will be called upon for a specific request; in this case, it is for generators. Also, like #9, rentals are preferred during disaster relief, but should the need arise, the government will look to manufacturers.
11. 562991 - Septic Tank and Related Services
If buildings are destroyed and people are misplaced, solicitations for this NAICS code will be put out for portable toilet renting and/or servicing.
Any temporary shelter will need to be equipped to handle a large number of people and to help alleviate the burden of the shelter, portable toilets will be installed on the premises.
12. 339113 - Surgical Appliance and Supplies ManufacturingPeople get injured during a disaster, and depending on the scope of the disaster, not everyone can be taken to a hospital immediately. In that case, trained professionals are provided with medical kits to care for patients on the scene.
There are plenty of construction NAICS codes out there, but listed here are the construction codes that are most likely to be needed during a disaster, depending on the area or the size affected.
- 237130 - Power and Communication Line and Related Structures Construction
- 237110 - Water and Sewer Line and Related Structures Construction
- 237310 - Highway, Street, and Bridge Construction
- 237120 - Oil and Gas Pipeline and Related Structures Construction
- 236220 - Commercial and Institutional Building Construction
- 236118 - Residential Remodelers
- 236220 - Commercial and Institutional Building Construction
- 238160 - Roofing Contractors
- 238990 - All Other Specialty Trade Contractors
The specialty trade work performed includes new work, additions, alterations, maintenance, and repairs.
14. 624230 - Emergency And Other Relief Services
And the code that encompasses it all, Emergency and Other Relief Services. This code comprises establishments primarily engaged in providing food, shelter, clothing, medical relief, resettlement, and counseling to victims of domestic or international disasters or conflicts (e.g., wars, disasters).
Any other NAICS codes mentioned in this list could also apply to this code. The main difference is that this code is applicable only during disaster relief. Whereas all the other codes mentioned can bid on solicitations at any time.
If a disaster strikes, it’s already too late to register with the System for Award Management (SAM). So, be one of the few that prepare during blue skies so you will be ready for the gray ones.
The US government allocates millions of dollars for disaster relief, so let USFCR assist you with helping your community and country by becoming a compliant contractor today.
To speak with a Contracting Specialist about Disaster Relief, Call: (866) 216-5343